World War 2 - The Battle For Rome Tour Description
To begin this World War 2 tour experiencing the Battle For Rome, you head south from Rome to the ancient Abbey of Monte Cassino, site of one of the toughest and most controversial battles of the Second World War. From the terraces of the rebuilt Abbey we look out over the mountains and valleys where the four month long battle took place.
A short distance from the Abbey you will visit the Polish cemetery, a monument to the Polish forces whose flag flying over the ruins of the Abbey finally signalled the end of the Battle of Monte Cassino.
Heading back down to the valley you then visit the British Commonwealth Cemetery where you will be fascinated to see the global nature of the battle for Monte Cassino.
Leaving Cassino we cross the mountains towards the coast and descend into the Pontine Marshes. Here you visit one of the largest collections of World War Two military vehicles to be found in Europe. Many of these original vehicles have been used as props for films and television series about the war, including Oscar winners "Life is Beautiful" and "The English Patient".
You arrive on the coast at Nettuno, where most of the American forces came ashore during the Anzio Landings, and then you head to the Sicily Rome American Cemetery where nearly eight thousand American war dead are buried.
From Nettuno you will travel the short distance to Anzio to visit the Anzio Beachhead Museum. Leaving Anzio you travel back into Rome following in the footsteps of of the Allied forces, from their breakout from the Anzio Beachhead to their triumphal entry into the Eternal city, where the end of World War 2s' Battle for Rome was greeted with scenes of mass jubilation
Highlights of this tour include:
- Abbey of Monte Cassino
- Polish Cemetery and Museum
- Commonwealth Cemetery
- World War II Vehicle Museum
- Nettuno American Cemetery
- Anzio Landings Museum
- Understanding of the main tactics, battles and protagonists of WWII in Italy
- Transport by air conditioned mini van
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Lunch NOT included in price
* The itinerary may change slightly depending on seasonal holidays or special events. For those who appreciate tours and knowledge of a historical nature learning of ancient times, then you may be interested in the Ostia Antica Tour